Saturday, November 2, 2013

World's Finest # 190, December, 1969


And so the conclusion of what has to be one of the dumbest WF stories of them all. As you'll recall, Superman has died and his organs were harvested and transplanted into 3rd string crooks by Luthor. Here said crooks get stupid costumes to reflect their lame powers. Turns out, though--since this is NOT an imaginary story--Superman still lives! Seems he went to New Krypton--a planet he and Supergirl once made artificially and peopled with duplicates of everyone on Krypton before it exploded--and got them to help him fake his death with this whole elaborate ruse JUST so he could catch the 4 lame-o crooks!!!! Riiiiiiight....

The troubadour on the splash page was hardly an original idea and in fact was a regular feature at Mighty Comics a couple of years earlier.
















2 comments:

  1. Now this is the first ishof WF I actually bought off the spinner rack. Yeah, it was a dumb story, but the scene where the villains lose their powers and the results of those losses really made am emotional impact on my first grade self.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! My experience was much like Groovy Agent's. In 1969, this was the very first comic book I ever got, and I wasn't even in first grade yet. Although I now have to agree it is a really dumb story, at the time it made a BIG impact on me. What intrigued me most, though, was the "Danger and Thrills" ad for those other comics featuring Wonder Woman and Supergirl. Thanks for this excellent blog.

    ReplyDelete